Bed bugs, the tiny terrors that can drive homeowners crazy from painful and irritating bites that make resting a daily painful battle. Fear not, we are here with a guide to help you avoid the pain and suffering of full infestation. The most important thing to remember when it comes to bed bugs is early detection is key.
The priority for bed bugs should be prevention! According to Bennett, “bed bugs are not like other pests that sneak in from the yard or under the house. Bed bugs hitch a ride on people, their belongings, or even used furniture.” So, if you are diligent, you can prevent your home from being invaded by bed bugs. How do you prevent bed bugs?
- Inspect used furniture before bringing it home
- Wash and dry clothes and luggage after travel
- Check hotel rooms for signs of bed bugs
How do you spot bed bugs if you are worried, they may be present? According to Chris Bennett, the Sales Manager for J&N Pest Control, “Bed bugs can be tricky sometimes to know whether you have them or not.” There are a few tell-tell signs that you can look for that indicate that you have bed bugs.
- Blood stains on bedding and furniture
- Shed exoskeletons and live bugs near hiding spots like the tuft of your mattress
- Bite marks, although these can be mistaken for other insect bites
If you have bed bugs, what do you do? First, we strongly advise against trying a do-it-yourself treatment. Over-the-counter products are not strong enough to fully eradicate bed bugs and professionals know exactly where to look for bed bugs. When you hire a professional to treat your bed bug problem you are bringing in an expert who knows how to spot bed bugs and most importantly has the proper tools and knowledge to get them out of your home. That does not mean that you will not be involved. Capable professionals will give you pre-treatment instructions and post-treatment instructions. You MUST follow these instructions to the letter to ensure successful treatment. What are the phases of a treatment?
- First, a technician will inspect your home for bed bugs and give you a pre-treat list for cleaning and laundering your clothes and bedding
- Second, the technician will come out and thoroughly treat your home
- Third, the technician will give you a post-treatment list for you to clean and launder your home.
- Fourth, the technician will come back in two weeks to inspect again and conduct a follow-up treatment.
After these four steps, your home should be free of bed bugs if you adhere to the technician’s instructions. J&N Pest Control provides customers with a 30-day warranty if they see any bed bug activity after treatment.
If you think you may have bed bugs in your home contact J&N Pest Control today for free inspection!